-->

Tuesday 21 February 2017

The Inspiring Lesson I Learn from Blind Masseuse

Last week, I was in the KLIA 2, while waiting the next flight back to Alor Setar.

After strolling around, I determined to have the foot massage in the reflexology center. The rates were reasonable and fair.

Here's the reflexology center 

Besides that, the setting of reflexology center had privacy where thick layer of fabrics between each blinds.

The staff in the counter arrange a Malay lady, Syikin for me. Then, I just realized she was blind.

I was not new to the massaging. Despite that, it counted as my first time to deal with the blind masseuse.

I found that all the masseuses in the reflexology center were blinds. But most of them were male.

When she sat down in front of me, I took a closer glance. She was young, probably in early twenties.


I began the conversation because I curious to know her story.

“How many years you trained to be the masseuse?”

“1 ½ year at the Blind Association at Brickfield, Kuala Lumpur”

“Did you receive any salary when training at there?”

“Yes, only few hundreds living allowances. The training and accommodation fees were free”. She quickly replied.

“I see”. I replied with a nod.

“Blind Association provided job for all the blinds?” I asked again

“Not sure, but I being offered the job.”

“How you come to work and back home everyday?”

“The reflexology center had pick-up service”

“What makes you blind?

“I had born with blind when separating with the twin sister that glued together”. “My sister became abnormal after all”.

In between the conversation, she managed to ask and share her personal stories as a way to engage and connect with me.

“What time is your flight?”, “Where you going to?”

“8.30pm, going to Alor Setar”

“You work at there?”

“No, I study there”.

“What course you take?”

“Management”.

“My elder sister and brother like you too, study in the university”

“This name being called by the airport staff exactly same with my customer” Isn’t she? She will fly to Singapore?”

After 20 minutes conversation with her, I learned that:

Staying Positive and Optimistic All the Times

I’m pretty amazed with her positive and optimistic attitudes despite visual impairment when was born. She could not see anything in her whole life. This even included her parents and siblings- the people that close to her in this world. She totally experienced darkness and hopeless. This disability did not stop her to learn the massage skills and employed.  She liked an asset with value. She could earn a living to support herself without rely her family. She was not the society parasite. Instead, she contributed to the society. Truth to be told, I’m not sure how many people able to maintain positivity and optimistic in their life. Maybe less than 10 people. I’m sure I’m the same. “Sigh” will be voiced out frequently.

The Power of Small Act of Kindness-Can Make Differences

I gained faith in humanity once I heard blind association, reflexology center provided training and jobs for them. I thought business organizations are always profit-oriented. Hiring disabled persons incurred costs (e.g sick leaves, compensation & occupational safety and health regulation). Besides that, people with disabilities hard to manage in the workplace as well as it took times. However, they had changed my thinking. People with disabled were not that easy to accept by the society. Some even not received equal treatments like normal people. They hard to obtain fulfilling opportunities either in the workplace or daily life. Right now, the job given by reflexology center has changed their life. Well done, reflexology center. Their act really inspired me and forever thankful.

I left with this quote:

“Never underestimate the power of a single act of kindness. Your act maybe the added lift that someone needs to go from falling to flying”-Zero Dean 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Lee Chin's Secret Garden. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase