-->

Saturday 25 March 2017

Mastering the Art of Making Pavlova and Cream Puff


Update on **24 March 2017**

Here at the 4 hours (8.30am-12.30pm) baking class of D’Hospitality Restaurant yesterday. D’Hospitality Restaurant covers two well-known desserts: Pavlova and Cream Puff


My instructor demonstrated on how to make Pavlova before I attempted to make my own. 

It was a great eye opening experience when seeing Pavlova was made by beating the egg white, vinegar and caster sugars. Pavlova finally turned into well decorated as desired when topped it with whipped cream and fresh fruits such as kiwi and strawberries. 

Here’s the recipe given by the instructor:

Ingredients:

1) 3 eggs white
2) 250gm caster sugars
3) 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4) 1 teaspoon cooking vinegar
5) 1 tablespoon cornstarch 

Methods:

1. Whisk the egg white with mixer on a low speed. Beat it until stiff.

2. Adding caster sugars spoon by spoon while continuing to beat the eggs white.

3. Adding vanilla essence, cornstarch and vinegar again and beat it until smooth

4. Creating round lines on baking sheets

5. Shaping the meringue in the round lines

6. Preheating the oven at 150c.Enter the meringue batter. In 15 minutes, lower the temperatures to 140c. Cook for 1 hour. Pavlova cooker over medium heat.

7. Cook until the color meringue turned into brown. Do not remove the meringue straight from the oven. Wait until it cool. 

This was the fresh cream brand (to make the whipping cream) highly recommended by the instructor, Pride (RM 10.40)-more fragrant, not too sweet, white looking and smooth type fresh cream. 

Making Pavlova really was an art because it allowed the rooms for variations. Look at so many variations below. 

This was instructor's final Pavlova
Meanwhile, this was first group's Pavlova
And this was second group's Pavlova
Of course, I loved our group's design and shapes. LOL. 

How cool is that? Never expect one day in my life, a beginner in the baking world like me managed to make a good looking Pavlova. LOL

Needless to say, it was not my solo masterpiece, but the joint products with the other two group mates. It was such a wonderful time.

Besides that, I realized my favorite part was piping the whipping cream on the top of meringue.  It needed the skills to decorate it. I didn’t have. So, I chose the very simple decorations compared with other group mates.

Most importantly, the most proud moment when making Pavlova was took the Pavlova out from the oven. I wanted to see my own handiwork. It tasted better when you make it yourself. HOORAY…….


After that, I shifted my way to make cream puffs. 


So, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1. 125 gm self-raising flour/wheat flour + 2 teaspoons baking powder

2. 100 gm butter

3. 250ml water

4. 1 teaspoon sugar

5. 1 teaspoon vanilla essence

6. 3 eggs

Methods:

1. Bring sugar and butter for boiling. 

2. Adding flour and stirred it from times to times in order to prevent it sticked to the pan.

3. Adding beaten eggs and sugars into the flour mixtures. Stir well.

4. Then put the mixture into piping bag and pipe it. 

5. Bake it in the oven till golden brown for approximately 25-30 minutes. 

6. Cut the side of the puffs and put the filling. 

 Ta da....my own group's cream puffs was the most beautiful thing in the world. LOL. 

At that moment, I felt like the proud Mama when seeing my own masterpieces. And next dorm room neighbors loved them too. 

She said "first in my lifetimes eat Pavlova and it was made by Tay" What a big surprise for me and her! Hahahah. 

Last but not least, one classmate shared the useful tips on making cream puffs based on his experiences. I guess he observed instructor forget to tell us. 

Here's the TIPS:

1. Don't forgot to apply butter on the baking sheets to avoid cream puffs sticked on it.

2. Baking cream puffs in 170-180c based on capacity of the oven. And please don't open the oven frequently.

3. Make sure cream puffs were baked in the oven since removing early caused the cream puffs flatten 

4. Applying water on the surface of the cream puffs before putting in the oven. This was to ensure cream puffs looked puffy and impress the eaters. 

# Tips 1
# Tips 2

Hope these valuable tips helps for those interested to make cream puffs. After attending this class, I found myself love Pavlova, cream puffs and couldn't get enough for them. Hahahaha 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Lee Chin's Secret Garden. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase