-->

Wednesday 20 April 2016

8 Important Phrases for Abroad Travellers

When I travel abroad, I prefer speaking to the local people by using their languages.

Using English (recognized as international language) create troubles most of the times because the local people at particular foreign country can’t understand.

Thus, by using proper foreign language, I can understand better about their cultures and the most important thing is to avoid embarrassing situations.

Basically, I think 8 useful and important formal phrases plays the significant roles when travelling abroad.

(I google some of the foreign language phrases while some of them I know because I had been travelled there)

***do correct me if I wrong 

Photo credit to Mickey Tay 

#1 How Are You?

I need this when I greet and meet with the people. It is the powerful phrases for ice breaking

Mandarin: Ni Hao
Melayu: Apa Khabar
Cantonese: Nei Hou
Thai: Sa wa dee (sa wa dee “ka” spoken by females, sa wa dee “cup” spoken by males)
Korean: An Yong Ha Se Yoh
Japanese: Konnichiwa
Arabic: Kayfa Haluk
Spanish: cómo estás
German: Wie geht es dir
French: Comment allez-vous
Vietnamese: Ban khoe khong

Photo Credit to Mickey Tay 
#2 Thank You

I frequently use this phrase to show my gratitude to someone
Mandarin: Xie Xie
Melayu: Terima kasih
Cantonese: Do Je
Thai: Kop Kun (kop kun“ka” spoken by females, kop kun “cup” spoken by males)
Korean: Ham Sham Mi Da
Japanese: Arigato
Arabic: Shukran
Spanish: Gracias
German: Danke
French: Je vous remercie
Vietnamese: Cam on ban
Photo credit to Mickey Tay 
#3 Goodbye
A bit of sad when saying this phrases. But no choice. Every travelers
need apart with the local people
Mandarin: Zai Jian
Melayu: Selamat Jalan
Cantonese: Zoi Kin
Thai: Was Dee
Korean: An Yong Hee Ga Se Yo
Japanese: Sayonara
Arabic: Ma al-sa la mah
Spanish: Adios
German: Auf Wiedersehen
French: Au Revoir
Vietnamese: Tam Biet 
Photo credit to Mickey Tay
#4 I Need Help!
Extremely important when I face the emergency situations and really hope someone can help me
Mandarin: Jiu/Bang Wo
Melayu: Tolongkan saya
Cantonese: Bong Ha Ngo
Thai: choo-ay-noy (choo ay noy "cup" spoken by males, choo-ay-noy "ka" spoken by females)
Korean: naega doum I pil yo
Japanese: Watashi wa tasuke ga hitsuyodesu
Arabic: Saa di nii
Spanish: Necesito Ayuda
German: Ich brauche Hilfe
French: J ai besoindaide
Vietnamese: Toi can giuo do
Photo credit to Mickey Tay
#5 How Much Is It?
As a girl, I love to shop. So this phrase can’t avoid. Further, I’m 
the smart consumer and always wish to gain the reasonable prices
Mandarin: Duo shao qian?
Melayu: Ini berapa?
Cantonese: Gei do chin
Thai: Rākhā thèā h̄ịr̀?
Korean: geugeos-eun eolma ibnikka?
Japanese: Ikuradesu ka?
Arabic: kam saerah
Spanish: Cuánto cuesta
German: Wie viel kostet das?
French: combien ça coûte?

Vietnamese: Cai do bao nhieu tien 

Photo credit to Mickey Tay 

#6 Any Discount?
You know hor, shopping also desperately need this phrase in 
order to buy more and more clothes. 
Mandarin: you zhé kòu
Melayu: ada diskaun
Cantonese: yau mo ji kou 
Thai: S̄̀wnld dı
Korean: eotteon hal-in
Japanese: Nin'i no waribiki
Arabic: ay khasm
Spanish: Algún descuento
German: irgendein Rabatt
French: Toute reduction
Vietnamese: bất kỳ giảm giá
Photo credit to Mickey Tay 
#7 Where Is The Toilet?
This is because I’m the toilet lovers. 
Mandarin: Che suo zai na li
Melayu: Di mana tandas
Cantonese: Chi so hai pin do
Thai: H̄̂xngn̂ả xyū̀ thī̀h̄ịn
Korean: hwajangsil-eun eodiibnikka
Japanese: Toire wa dokodesu ka
Arabic: ayn almirhad
Spanish: donde estael inodoro
German: Wo ist die Toilette
French: où sont les toilettes
Vietnamese: WC ở đâu
Photo credit by Mickey Tay 
#8 Where Can I Find The Taxi
When I lost, this phrase really helps me. I can back to hotel safely. 
Mandarin: Zai na li ke yi zao dao chu zhu che
Melayu: Di mana boleh dapatkan taxi
Cantonese: taxi hai pin do
Thai: Thī̀ c̄hạn s̄āmārt̄h h̄ā rt̄h thæ̆ksī̀
Korean: eodi taegsi leul chaj-eul su issseubnida
Japanese: Koko de watashi wa takushī o mitsukeru koto ga dekimasu
Arabic: ayn yumkinuni aleuthur ealaa sayarat 'ujra
Spanish: donde puedo encontrar el taxi
German: wo kann ich das Taxi finden
French: où puis -jetrouver le taxi
Vietnamese: nơi mà tôi có thể tìm thấy xe taxi

That’s all for 8 phrases that are 
considered very important for me when travelling abroad.
What’s your important phrases for travelers? I loved to hear them so do share.
Hope you enjoy reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Lee Chin's Secret Garden. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase