-->

Friday 1 April 2016

Am I Looked Like Chinese?

Below were the several conversations that make me realized I’m not looked like Chinese

(Having lunch at the conference with my supervisor and her other colleagues)

Dr Chong: You're not look like Chinese.
Me: Uhmmm.
Dr Tan: She is Sarawak Chinese.
Dr Chong: Perhaps your ancestors not the Chinese.
Me: No. My parents, grandfather, grandmother all are Chinese.
Dr Chong: You better check with them again!
_________________________________________________________________________________

(Sharing the above conversation with a Malay friend of mine)

Me: A senior lecturer tell me I’m not look like Chinese.
Safiah: Hahaha.
Me: Which part of faces that make me not look like Chinese?
Safiah: Your eyes. You've wider, fuller and bigger eyes.
Me: All the Kedah Chinese has small eyes?
Safiah: Yes. Their eyes are small and narrow. 
Me: Oh my god!
_________________________________________________________________________________

(Greeting a postgraduate friend from China at cafeteria during lunch time)

Me: Hello, how are you?
China friend: Hey.
Me: Why you so shock to see me?
China friend: I thought you’re the native people
Me: What? Why you say so?
China friend: Your eyes are big. You also has double eyelid.
Me: Uhmmm.
China friend: Good laaaaa. I wish I have bigger eyes and double eyelid like you so that not necessary to draw eyeliner everyday.
Me: Oh my god!
_________________________________________________________________________________

(Discussing the differences between Sarawak Chinese and Malayan Chinese with a friend)

Me: Recently, I always being said not a Chinese.
Shu Fang: Hahaha
Me: Don’t laugh. What do you think?
Shu Fang: I agree you’re not like Chinese.
Me: Why? What happen to me?
Shu Fang: Like other said, you have the big eyes and double eyelid.
Me: Ok, anything else?
Shu Fang: Don’t so sad. I used to see the small eyes and single eyelid Chinese. So, I judge them as the typical Chinese face. When you’re not like the pre-set notion of typical Chinese face, I assume you’re not the Chinese as well.
Me: Oh I see...
Shu Fang: Not only you, other Sarawak Chinese that I know also not look like Chinese, Some of them even darker than you. They super not look like Chinese.
Me: Ok 
_________________________________________________________________________________

(Chit chat with Papa)

Papa: your eyes is very big and your face is very big too
Me: Yiiiii
Papa: Hahahah
_________________________________________________________________________________

(Having breakfast with Rosamond)

Rosamond: Your eyes really big. Then your face is very big.
Me: Why everyone include Papa loves to say so?
Rosamond: Luckily you’ve big face to match your big eyes. Otherwise, you’ll look like Min Er (敏儿)in the Four Golden Princess/四千金(a kid singing group Malaysia)
Me: Cehhhh

******************

Peninsular Malaysia lecturers and friends said me not like the Chinese. Meanwhile, Papa and Rosamond never say like this.

Isn’t parents and siblings not going to say like this?

Isn’t a friend of mine, Shu Fang’s explanation in above was correct?

Hey guys, what do you think?

Recent me 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Lee Chin's Secret Garden. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase