-->

Monday 2 May 2016

Ah Neil Noodles Stall, Saratok

This blog entry was not only about food reviews but also walked down memory lane entry.

Yesterday, I demanded Mickey (5th sister) to go to Ah Neil’s noodles stall, which was situated in the Market Saratok because I suddenly craved for it.

I used to come there when I was the little girl (around 9 or 10 years old) during the night. Mama, me and sisters loved to eat his dry noodles as supper.

You know hor, little girls really not bother about weight issues. Further, Mama brainwashed us we are small body size type, we wouldn’t grow fat no matter how much we ate. So, we had supper habits.

Ok, back to topic. I don’t call it as Ah Neil, I preferred called it as Ah Zhang because that’s how Mama called it.

Ah Zhang gained popularity with his own handmade noodles during Mama’s era. His handmade noodles were very springy, chewy, great mouth feel and she was so obsessed too.

After that, Mama corrected us from Ah Zhang to Ah Neil (Ah Zhang’s son) because in fact Ah Zhang had been passed away many years ago and people must laugh with us if we had noodles with Ah Zhang. 

I remembered Mama said like below

"阿张现在在地府卖面。没有阿张了,
现在是阿Neil卖面" (Ah Zhang sold
noodles in Chinese underground world. No
more Ah Zhang anymore, only left Ah
Neil).
 LOL.

W.E.L.F.I.E first
Apparently, Ah Neil's noodles stall was " Tai Lung"
 Ah Zhang turned skinny and older after so many years not visited his noodles stall.
The menu reflected our dialects. That's how the locals included me call the dry noodles
E.g Mee Rangkai=干面=dry noodles. (Mee Rangkai was the Iban language)
Mee Sup=水面=soup noodles (that's how Hokkien of Saratokians speak soup noodles)
Wow, Ah Chang kopitiam still located next to Ah Neil! 

Mickey recalled she always ordered watermelon tea from Ah Chang kopitiam while having Ah Nail’s noodles but this time she ordered cincau susu/black jelly with milk (big girl changed her taste already)
Mickey had dry noodles with chili sauce.
 Meanwhile, I wanted to have normal dry noodles. 

Getting the first bite, I was so upset because the noodles were not firm and springy. 

It also didn’t have few slices of fish cakes as what I ate when I was the little girl. 

Mickey explained it might due to higher goods costs. He just wanted to reduce the cost. Don’t you agree?

3 layers tea/Teh C special. Nice one
cincau susu/black jelly with milk not sweet enough 
Lastly, posing with the foods 

Ah Neil’s noodles stalls was part of my childhood memory. I will revisit again even though the noodles quality decreased.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 Lee Chin's Secret Garden. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase